Registration is now open for Summer Nature Day Camps at Welkinweir, 1368 Prizer Road, Pottstown. Run by the Green Valleys Watershed Association (GVWA), its Summer Camp Mission is to encourage children’s natural curiosity of the outdoors by engaging them in fun and educational activities.
Camps are available for children ages 4 through 7th grade from June 17-August 9. GVWA camps provide a balance of structure and free play, with outdoor exploration and age-appropriate learning activities, that aid children in building social and life skills such as communication, teamwork, and self-confidence. Camps meet Pennsylvania Academic Standards in Science and Technology, and Environment and Ecology.
For detailed descriptions of each Camp week theme and activities, please read GVWA’s 2019 Camp Brochure
- Nature Camp is held at Welkinweir, the GVWA’s 219-acre headquarters where camper participate in outdoor play, educational games and activities, stories, and nature walks to study wildlife in the woodlands, meadows, ponds and streams.
- 12:2 camper-to-staff ratio allows for hands-on learning.
- Special guest presentations complement each week’s theme, and include live animal demonstrations, outdoor skills and games, and more.
- Optional Overnight Camping program at Welkinweir for children in Grades 4 and 5 on select Thursdays.
- Children in Grades 6 and 7 participate in field trips to canoe, hike, and explore local natural areas. Some field trips include overnights.
- Every Friday, campers gather at the campfire to make s’mores. At the end of the day, campers present the highlights of their week for their families.
Camps run rain or shine, Monday through Friday each week from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm for Grades 1 through 7; and 9:00 am to 12:00 pm for children ages 4 and entering Kindergarten. Before and After Camp Care is offered for additional fees. Camp is held outdoors, with an indoor facility for shelter from inclement weather. For more information, visit www.greenvalleys.org.