The Roads department is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of 52.64 miles of Honey Brook Township’s roads.
View the May 2017 Bid Results.
Ordinances with respect to Roads:
Ordinance #162-2012, passed on May 9, 2012.
An ordinance to amend the Streets and Sidewalk Ordinance (Chapter 21) to add standards for use of land within public Rights-of-Way.
Ordinance #122-2oo6, passed on December 13, 2006.
Codifies the Township Code of Ordinances. Contains the Snow and Ice Emergency ordinance (see below under Winter Weather information).
Cutting and opening of public roads.
Residents interested in forming a group to adopt a stretch of road may contact the Adopt-a-Highway Coordinator, Kristy Deischer-Eddy, at 610-273-3970 or email@example.com.
Winter Weather information:
Please do not park on municipal roads during winter weather–snow or ice, in any amount–or vehicles will be subject to towing at the owner’s expense per Resolution 2-2013 and the snow and ice emergency Ordinance 61-1994 on November 9, 1994. It is now codified into the Township Code of Ordinances in Chapter 15, Section 9.
Read more about being prepared for winter weather in the Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors’ newsletter, Townships Today.
For other Weather Emergency tips, visit the Weather Emergency page.
Icedale Road Bridge in West Brandywine Township
The West Brandywine Board of Supervisors has awarded a construction contract for substructure repairs, replacement of the deteriorated steel beam superstructure, installation of bridge safety features, and replacement of the deck wearing surface on the Icedale Road bridge. Construction is anticipated to begin in mid- to late-June and last until the end of August. A detour will be in place for the duration of construction along Horseshoe Pike (Rte. 322) and South Birdell Road. The bridge will be closed during construction. Special information signs will be posted at each approach to the bridge a minimum of two weeks prior to the bridge’s closure. These signs will advise the actual closing date of the bridge. For more information on the project, please visit the West Brandywine Township website by clicking here.
Road Resurfacing in Chester County Announced
Construction began May 26, 2017, on a $2 million project to repair and resurface 13 miles of state highway in 12 different sections of Chester County, using 100% state funds through Act 89, Pennsylvania’s Transportation Plan. Lane restrictions will be from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm in work zones. Motorists are advised to allow extra time when traveling through these work zones because slowdowns will occur. The contractor’s schedule is dependent on the weather.
Under this improvement project, PennDOT will mill the existing roadway surface and repave the state highways with new asphalt on the following roads in the immediate Honey Brook area:
- Isabella Road between Chestnut Tree Road and Creek Road in West Nantmeal Township;
- South 13th Avenue/Oliver Street/Caln Road between Business U.S. 30 and Business U.S. 30 in the City of Coatesville and Caln Township;
- Birdell Road between just south of Hill Road and U.S. 322 in Honey Brook Township**; and
- North Chestnut Street between Route 23 (Main Street) and the Berks County Line in Elverson Borough.
Work in these projects is due to be completed in October 2017. For a complete list of affected areas, or for more information, visit the PennDOT website.
Click here to see the press release from PennDOT.
*Construction plans for South Birdell Road are as follows:
- Milling will take place the evening of Wednesday, June 28, 2017.
- Paving will take place on Wednesday, July 5th or Thursday, July 6th.
Both activities are weather-permitting. For more information on all of PennDOT’s construction projects, visit the District 6 website by clicking here.
To report maintenance concerns of state roads, call the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT)’s toll-free hotline: 1-800-FIX-ROAD (1-800-349-7623) or 484-340-3200. State Roads in Honey Brook Township include:
– Route 10 (Twin County Road north of the Borough, Compass Road south of the Borough; SR 0010)
– Route 322 (Horseshoe Pike; SR 0322)
– Cambridge Road (SR 4010)
– Chestnut Tree Road (SR 4025)
– Isabella Road (SR 4014)
– Maple Street (from Borough line to intersection with White School and Pleasant View Roads; SR 4027)
– Morgantown Road (between Chestnut Tree and White School Roads; SR 4014)
– South Birdell Road (SR 4007)
– White School Road (SR 4027)
When calling to report state road issues, callers must provide:
– County name
– Street name, or, preferably, the the State Road (SR) number found on small black-and-white signs along state roadways. The segment number (below the SR number on the small black-and-white signs) or familiar landmarks would also be helpful.
Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 state roadway miles, including color-coded winter conditions on 2,900 miles, by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 700 traffic cameras.
511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website. For more PennDOT information, visit www.dot.state.pa.us. Follow local PennDOT information on Twitter at www.twitter.com/511PAPhilly.
511PAConnect: info for motorists on road closures due to accidents or weather.
For information on work zone safety laws, click here.
Last update: June 23, 2017.