Honey Brook Township, Chester County, PA

Honey Brook Township

Chester County, PA

500 Suplee Road • PO BOX 1281 • Honey Brook, PA 19344

Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9AM-3PM
Phone: (610) 273-3970
Fax: (610) 273-3909

Trash, Outdoor Burning & Recycling

Trash Collection

Residents are required to contract with their own trash hauler who will also provide recycling services. Residential developments managed by a Home Owners Associations (HOA) and mobile home parks may contract with a single hauler for their entire development so please check with your manager for this information.

Outdoor Burning

Outdoor burning of household, commercial or industrial trash or other refuse, leaf waste, yard waste, or recyclable materials that are required to be separated and collected such as newspaper, cardboard, clear glass, and plastics is PROHIBITED.  Small controlled fires, such as campfires, are not prohibited.

The Right-to-Farm Act does not prohibit farmers on farms of over 5 acres from carrying out normal and customary activities of farming operations, which occasionally includes open burning.  However, a farmer may NOT burn any household waste, refuse or recyclables generated from any residence.  The Right-to-Farm Act also permits the use of newspaper for bedding for farm animals, and the composting and spreading of manure or other farm-produced agricultural wastes, provided that such activities are conducted in accordance with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations.

The burning of toxic materials of any kind including treated lumber, tires, plastic, etc. is strictly PROHIBITED.

Fires shall be monitored at all times and a readily available source of water must be nearby in case of emergency.

Recycling is Mandatory

Pennsylvania and Honey Brook Township regulations require all residential, commercial, institutional and municipal properties to separate recyclable materials from their waste and have it properly collected and processed.

Residential collection of recyclable materials shall be provided at least once each week by your contracted trash collector.  Items to be recycled by all residential units including mobile home parks and apartments include Glass containers, Cans. Plastics: No. 1 to No. 5 and No. 7, Paper: newspaper, books, catalogs, magazines, junk mail, paper, envelopes, and Cardboard boxes and containers.  Check with your collector to learn whether additional items may be recycled.

Leaf and Yard Waste – Your trash collector is required to collect leaf and yard waste at least once in the Spring and twice during the months of September through December.  Check with your hauler for their schedule.  You also have the option of disposing leaf waste by taking it to the Chester County Lanchester Landfill Composting Site.

Commercial, industrial and institutional property owners / operators plus the sponsor of any community special event or other activity shall at a minimum separate all of the items required of residents listed above plus high-grade office paper and corrugated cardboard.

These materials may be stored until collected.  The property owner / operator shall annually provide written documentation to the Township of the types of materials and the total tons of materials that were recycled. This documentation is due no later than the end of January for the prior calendar year.

When In Doubt, Throw It Out!

Please, please throw it out! That may not be the message you want to hear near Earth Day, but the truth is “too zealous recyclers have contaminated the recyclables with trash.”  They are ruining the ability to market the material nationwide. Chester County residents are great recyclers, but shouldn’t be tempted to be too passionate putting items in the bin that do not belong and “trashing” the recyclables. Properly prepared and collected recyclables are valued commodities sold on a global market.  When too many non-recyclables (trash) are mixed in with the recyclables it all becomes trash, because it is too costly to separate and requires disposal at a landfill. Meanwhile, too much money has been spent on collection, transportation and processing material that wasn’t worth collecting in the first place.

Scrap metal, hangers, pieces of rope or hose, pieces of wood, yard waste and children’s toys are just a few of the items that “contaminate” the recyclables. Scrap metal may be taken to a scrap dealer, yard waste should be composted, and reusable children’s toys may be donated or thrown away if broken.  Do not put them in the recycling bins.

Plastic bags present another problem. Recyclables should never be put in plastic bags.  Plastic bags are not recyclable in curbside programs. They jam the source separating equipment at recycling facilities. Plastic shopping bags can be returned to your local grocery store and plastic trash bags should be used for trash only not recyclables.

Most curbside programs in Chester County collect mixed paper, flattened corrugated cardboard cut down to 18” x 24”, glass bottles and jars, steel and aluminum cans, plastic bottles and containers #1-5 plus 7. Our programs also collect clean aluminum foil and pie tins and empty steel aerosol cans. No Styrofoam, polystyrene, foam. Everything else should be thrown away and that’s okay. Only plastic containers and bottles with recycling symbols can be recycled. If there is no recycling symbol, throw it out. Most recyclables will come from the kitchen or the mail as paper or corrugated cardboard. If you really want to do something positive for the planet, do it right. If in doubt, throw it out!


Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collections

The Chester County Solid Waste Authority (CCSWA)  has announced that it will hold four Hazardous Household Waste (HHW) events this year.  However, for Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) compliance, capacity is limited.

NEW this year, residents must register to drop off items.  To Register for an upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event, register on the CCSWA website by clicking here.  The registration system will be live beginning March 12.

Please note the following dates:

  • April 10th – Government Services Center, 601 Westtown Road, West Chester
  • June 25 – Coatesville
  • August 28 – Lower Oxford
  • October 9 – Government Services Center, 601 Westtown Road, West Chester

Take a power point tour of one of the HHW EventsComplete details available on the CCSWA website, chestercountyswa.org.


 Special Event October 24, 2021 at the CCSWA

The Chester County Solid Waste Authority (CCSWA) is hosting a Used Bicycle & Sewing Machine Drive on Sunday, October 24 from noon to 3:00 pm, rain or shine, at the Lanchester Landfill, 7224 Division Highway, Narvon.  In partnership with Pedals for Progress and Sewing Peace, the bikes will be shipped to Thailand, Albania, Tanzania, and Guatemala.  Bikes should be rust free, and no children’s tricycles will be accepted.  A donation towards shipping costs is appreciated (suggested $10-20 per item).  For more detailed information, click here.  Questions?  Call Patti Lynn at 484-796-4039 or e-mail plynn@chestercswa.org.


Disposing of Old Televisions & Computers

If you are interested in recycling an old television or computer, you may do so at the Lanchester Landfill, located at 7224 Division Highway (Route 322), Narvon.  Please note:

  • Limit of (1) TV per household,
  • You must show ID that you are a resident in the Lanchester service area, and
  • Computers and computer peripherals still have a maximum of 3 items.

This change is necessary, until further notice, due to serious capacity limitations.  It is still a free service.


This page was last udpated on August 27, 2021.